About the place: Bishnupur is a small town in the Bankura district of West Bengal. It was the kingdom of Mallabhum dynasty and is famous for its Terracotta (baked earth) and stone work. The best time to visit is Nov-Mar. Bishnupur is well connected from Kolkata; you may reach there by train (201 km) or by road (155 km). On an average it takes 3-4 hours to reach there from Kolkata.
Bishnupur is a small town so the local sightseen can be covered in a day. So a 2N/3D tour is good enough to cover Bishunupur and other nearby places. As part of the local sightseen, the following are to be covered:
1. Rasmancha, 2. Madan Mohan Temple, 3. Shyam Rai Temple, 4. Jor Bangla Temple, 5. Radha Laljiu Temple, 6. Mrinmoyee Temple, 7. Gum Ghar, 8. Stone Chariot, 9. Stone Gateway, 10. Dol Madal Cannon, 11. Chinnmasta Temple, 12. Lal Bandh and Sarba Mangala Temple, 13. Radhashyam Temple.
Among the nearby places you can cover Susunia or Mukutmanipur, both are around 30-40 kms from Bishnupur.
Bishnupur is famous for silk sarees specially the handcrafted Balucharies, terracotta horses, dokra art and stone and terracotta sculptures.
Places to stay: At Bishupur there are couple of hotels and lodges for stay, among which I felt the Bishunpur Tourist Lodge of West Bengal Tourism is the best option. Apart from the tourist lodge there are other decent stays like Hotel Laxmi Park, Udayan Lodge etc.
Travel Tips: Bishnupur can be covered easily in 2 days. So if you have one more day you can consider Mukutmanipur in your itinerary.
2. Do carry some cash or your debit card because credit card may not work everywhere. However luckily the saree showrooms accept credit card.
3. Assuming you are going from Kolkata by train, on an average a 2N/3D trip to Bishnupur will cost Rs 6000-8000 (approx , excluding shopping) for 2 people.
4. If visiting in months other than Nov-Mar, carry shades, sunscreen, umbrella to save yourself from Sun.
5. Among foods try Posto Bora in Bishnupur. If you are travelling by train from Kolkata, try Puri Sabzi at Kharagpur railway station.
6. Do carry a pair of sneakers in case you plan for Susunia.
7. In case you are planning to go during the winters, just check if you can manage to see the Santhali dance. Every year from 23rd to 27th December there is a fare "Bishnupur Mela". So try to cover that also.
For more details follow http://www.travelgateways.in/.